Saturday, November 20, 2010

First Snow

Some days ago, I was headed home after a late night of study and work. I just got outside when I noticed that the rain was falling too lightly and in drops too small. It was snow, or at least crystallized water. I don't see why else it would behave as such, but it would melt before even getting a chance to land.

Last night, after a long and hilarious series of plays, some friends and I were running through the rain to our residence. We made it in still dry and decided to meet back in the house lounge for some studying. I had just set up my laptop in the lounge when I walked back and saw Joël and his girlfriend standing outside. I opened the door for him and noticed that he was starring out at the night. It was snow, small specks of white on a black canvas of the night.

Then, this morning, I was walking along East Mall, headed North. It was a chilly morning, maybe even cold, the sort where you're expecting to see Jack Frost out and about his business. I was looking blankly at the mountains, as I often do, and getting close to my stop. Then I noticed what I was looking for, frost, snow, and winter. The mountains had been topped with a light blanket of white. It was framed beautifully over the garden with the flag pole in the foreground and the mountains flying low as if trying to hide in the snow.
And now it's night and snowing outside. I've been in our house lounge looking out at it while chilling with some friends doing homework. They left a few minutes ago, just before it really started to come down.

I took a few steps outside, encouraged by Joël who finds the stuff to be a lot of fun. I didn't have a jacket, but for me in temperatures like this, I'm fine. We threw a few snowballs, agreed to a snow fight (including his girlfriend) at some later date, drew in the snow, and then I headed back in to my studies, telling him to enjoy the snow.It's beautiful. I can see it in the light of the lamp posts and through the trees. A gentle, woolen, blanket. Every few minutes another person bursts through the doors exclaiming in amazement, "it's snowing!"

2 comments:

  1. It's snowing in Cape Breton as well.. .but wonderful clear sky and full moon here!
    But no pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, we had some snow here as well but it is pretty much all gone now. :(

    ReplyDelete