Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Re-define

A few days ago, a few phrases exchanged with a Christian forced me to redefine my entire vocabulary on the subject of faith. My opinions haven't been changed so much as they've been refined. I'd go into it, but I'm still working on it and I want to go over it with someone before I try to state my ideas.

In the same way, I'm noticing that I have to re-define this log. Originally it was to keep track of my experiences in Japan, to record the memories, and to let everyone know what I was up to without having to directly type a hundred e-mails.

When I returned to Canada, I kept it (barely) alive by using it to keep track of where I was personally, and to practice writing.

Now, I'm not sure what it should be. I was using it as a log of my life in residence, of my thoughts, experiences, life, and an explanation of it all. But now I know I'm not some main character. In Japan, it was myself and a few other 外人 (foreigners). Back on the east coast, it was me on my own. Now, it's me and a mixture of fifty-thousand students. Our stories are intertwined. I can't tell my story without theirs, but I'm not sure if their stories are mine to tell. That's why I have three entries typed up and ready to go, two of them have been posted and taken down, two extra are still up, and I'm not sure what to do. Even if I don't use names, it's still their story.

I'm also not sure who's reading this. It was originally just family and friends. Strangers are welcome, as this is the Internet, but they're of little consequence to someone who has given up on the concept of privacy. But now it's not just mine, and anyone here (at university) who ready this, while it's the same as all the gossip they'll hear, will have an insight into the lives of those around me. And even if I ask permission, how do I say "do you mind if I keep a public online record of my life, including the parts about you?" It seems a bit strange.

I'm not sure whether I'll get any replies to this*, and people usually just tell me to do what I feel like doing, but this time, I'm really not sure.

Pictures to follow.

Oh, and I'll be staying in Vancouver for the winter break.

*Replying is easy and does not require an account, just click on the "comment" link immediately below.

1 comment: