Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Moving Slowly

School projects are moving along slower than a bill through the Canadian government while their deadlines are flying into my face at light speed. My parents keep worrying that I'm not doing as much work as I should be. Whenever they find out about a project I have, they never give me a break about it. It's true that I procrastinate a lot, but it's also true that I'm good at getting things done regardless. Even my homework, I'm constantly being given more by teachers, but rarely do I do it at home, and it usually finds itself done in time. Other times it's projects that I never say a word about, but finish off in a day. And sometimes it's days like today, where they find out about it indirectly and tell me how I shouldn't have procrastinated until now. And yet in about half an hour I came up with all the ideas I needed and sent it off to the other members of my group. I'll see what they think and write it up properly in time.

I should probably mention that the reason they found out was because I was using it as a reason not to take a shift of someone at work tomorrow. This person says they need to study for some tests this week, but I know they had tonight off and I agree it's good to study, he's doing it a bit late and I don't see any advantage in it for me. I'll take it mostly because my parents are forcing me to, and I'll even finish my project on time in spite of it all.

This probably sounds a bit haughty of me, and it is, but it's just how it is. Even when I seem to bite off more than I can chew, I've made it through mostly unscathed and without choking. I'm getting better at picking and choosing (when given a real choice) and I really work better when not pressured by my parents.

Anyways, moving on. My bike is still in working disrepair. I've re-screwed a petal to the frame and I just re-tightened the seat. The gears still act strangely, but I've gotten used to it. It has that breaking down feeling, like any robot in an intense fight scene, and intense moments it has. I've been riding along Sydney's busiest streets. It's scary, the pot holes on the sides of the road are deep and traffic has different reactions (thank you to the semi who moved into the passing lane, there was enough room but I think you made the better choice). All I can say is that while fun, it's scary. Also, I've changed up my clothing now that it's getting colder. I've now got on gloves for the wind chill, three jackets, one warm, one protective and one noticeable and I'm still wearing sunglasses (for the rain, wind and dirt), but I'm looking for some lighter lenses. I'm also still wondering about cycling in the winter.

I'd write more, but I can't remember what I've already written.

1 comment:

  1. Ay yi, the Sydney roadsides are bad enough in the summertime - I can't readily imagine what it's like to cycle them in winter. There's something about the way that some grates are indented a full four inches into the road that makes me suspect latent sadism in the roadworkers. Built more in the spirit of a golf course than a throughfare - 'this little obstacle should catch them off guard"-

    I also find I cycle more quickly in the winter - probably in an effort to keep warm - which ups the danger ante a bit.

    It does sound haughty - except that once you admit the possiblility, that annoying tone magically evaporates. Nice trick. If the work get done, and if it doesn't cause you last-minute agonizing and expense of energy, sounds good. It's the agonizers that make you want to kick them -

    Now that I'm がくせい again. I'm rediscovering the fact that I've never actually had study habits of any description. And yet, progress is being made. Learning characters and vocabulary is too much fun, and distracts me from the difficulty of parsing sentence structure. I every time difficulty with that problem have.

    ReplyDelete