Tuesday, January 12, 2010

郷愁

Kyousyu, it means homesickness or nostalgia. That's what I'm feeling. It has always been a weakness of mine that I reminice too much. Some adults have the heart of a child, I feel like I've got one of an old guy; I feel old and I keep looking to the past, but that's just life. I also feel old because I'm a year older than the grads at my school, because I had (what I consider) a full life of experiences in Japan, because I think it and because I think too much. Regardless, let's see where this takes me.

Today I got a lot done. This morning at about one, I sent in and paid for my application to Waterloo University. I sent off and paid for Dalhousie this afternoon and though UBC's is very time consuming, I hope to have it over with soon. I'll also be applying to the local university. I value this last one the least, not just because it's the least prestigious on my list (and transfers to another one after two years), but also because I want to get away, I need (as in a great want, I know that it's not absolutely necessary) to get away. Spread my wings and fly.

I'm aiming for mechatronics engineering. It deals with putting together mechanics, electronics, computers and control systems to make something that works. I figure it suits me. I've built with Lego, Technic and K'nex since I was a kid, and I've built a lot. I still do when I need something I don't have (like my sheetmusic holder). I like putting together models (specifically Japanese Gundam models). I've taken apart, fixed and re-built many electronics, inlcuding five computers which run as well as before I did so. I've fixed a bike that was crushed by a truck, I'm helping my dad build a house and I look for ways of using my skills and knowledge to make things work better, both machines and plans. I have a knack for math and physics, which I love (I've spent nights having fun with equations) and I spend a lot of time working out different ideas, simplifying and making more concise my notes (which are a few condensed pages instead of whole binders neener-neener to everyone else). I've even done research in spare time, for what was pretty much fun. I've gone to math camp and I'm reading a book called Physics for Entertainment. And yes, I do have a life outside of all that.

Now that you've forgotten the title and meaning of this post, I'll get to the reason I'm writting. I just finished typing up a letter to my friends and (host) family in Japan. I really want them to see it and I wish them well. I'm not sure how I'm going to get it over there. I might e-mail it to some, but there are others who it would mean so much to me for them to see it and I don't have their real or virtual addresses. I'll probably ask for some help. The letter talks about what I'm up to, about school, university, work, the house and what I miss about Japan; the long walks along the river, building Gundams (that part of the last paragraph was just added), looking for manga (as well as reading them, but just looking for them was such an adventure), karaoke (which is so much better in Japan) and chatting with friends. I end it by saying that I want to go back again and I want to see everyone again. I'm planning on sending it to all my host families and my math class if possible.

I also wrote an e-mail to Callan (the Aussie) and after several weeks of searching, I finally got a chance to chat with Brie. It was brief, but she says she'll have more free time now. Then I read the full blog of a Canadian exchange student in Kanazawa. There's a deadly dose of nostalgia. I'm still thinking about the ALTs I met, and thinking about going to Japan for a year out of university.

Next is school. It's almost relaxed. I'm making a newspaper with two guys in French, we named it (to my embarassement at first, but I like it now) PiPiKaKaPuPu (which translates to PeePoopDoodoo), it's meant to be read while on the toilet and would be made out of toilet paper. I still have to write up my article, luckily I've picked a subject and I'm fluent, I just can't write.

I'm also taking on a project in french geography with three people to teach a chapter of our textbook to the class. It's because we're in the advanced option. The others are doing powerpoints of "study Cases" while I'm left with the bulk of the true content of the chapter. Don't get me wrong, I chose it; I may have more responsibility, but I've got more matter to cover and pictures to help, and I'll be doing it in flash (which won't make that much of a difference, but my presentation will have better graphics.

In pre-cal, I'm trying to get myself to look work over, amke sure it's right and comply with my coughfascistcough teacher. She constantly says how disappointed she is and even complained about my title page to a homework assignment. My plans to "get back" at her are to do excellently on the exam, do better in calculus and make my next assignment page so elegant it will make her conservative face think twice before commenting on my title pages.

And in multimedia we're working on flash. It's not my favourite program but it's nothing new for me. I'm more focused on our website portfolios due at then end worth thrity percent of our mark. I've installed the programs we're using on my computer just to have more time out of class to work on it.

And with that, I think I'm done. I've been off the schedule at work for a few weeks and I haven't been out to the house too often. I've cut back on video games and I'm trying to get everything done.

1 comment:

  1. oh boy, i remember the nostalgia. i've lived it for ten years now. but it was certainly the worst while i was back in golden, waiting eight months to go to university. rest assured, once you are in a whole new place, it will get easier. but the reality is that you will forever have a piece of your heart left in Japan, and so it's always going to be hard to feel settled anywhere. it can be hard, but i feel that it's a strength, in that you know that there are some many other realities out there. just don't get caught up in the trap of remembering only the good points; make sure that you temper it with the reality that it was, and know that nowhere is perfect. and be sure to be living in your present a bit, not just your past and future. but it's a pretty special thing that is all yours; and is pretty much impossible to convey to others. it will make you a stronger person, and help you appreciate every experience from here on in more.
    good luck with the applications! talk to you soon.
    mandy

    ReplyDelete