Saturday, January 9, 2010

So far away

One of the boring parts of no longer living in Japan is the big city that I miss. Kanazawa was an industrial city (I'm not sure how it would be classified now) with old winding roads, large skyscrapers all stacked in the middle, buildings and houses all huddled together, conevience stores everywhere, very little garbage and non-violent people which made it a great place in which to take walks.

I could walk around for hours, going into covenience stores every time I got tired or bored, seek out bookstores, places to play video games, look for new and interesting foods, find weird and perverted figures and see what strange culture there was on display. I had the city mapped in my mind. I knew the main roads, the best shopping spots, most of the book stores, how to get anywhere, some of the best hang out spots, restaurants and cetera.

Here, everything is spread out, the stores close early, there aren't that many shops, transit it terrible, and there aren't as many spots to just hang out or nice place to just relax. If anyone from here reads this and disagrees, please name your spot.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you're not going to like me for this one, but my answer to that question was to move to the city. Yes, I'm dissing my old neighbourhood, which I love, but I'd rather live in Vancouver than Coxheath, and I might like Kanazawa as much as Vancouver.

    And really, it just gets better. The city changes out from underneath you even as you live in it - bad changes and good ones intermixed, I'll grant you - but the variety keeps on coming.

    Sue and I are together on this one - that's why she lives in the dead centre of the Halifax peninsula. She likes living among partying students (well, to a point) and being surrounded by a web of people and a maze of streets.

    There are things I love about Cape Breton County, but for the list you've posted above, you'll have to Order Out.

    ReplyDelete