Saturday, December 4, 2010

Forty-Eight Hours

Yesterday marked the last of my computer programming classes. I finished some code for a scrolling display that morning, then talked to Alex about our the engineering study group we're trying to start. I then made it my mission to learn about booking classrooms, taking me to the other side of campus. And while I was there I visited the wellness center.

I want to go into detail, so I'll add that Alex and I are trying to organize a closed group for engineering study sessions. We've found that we work great in groups, and that empty classrooms are a lot of fun, so now we want to combine the two. I love the idea.

It's similar to what I think universities should be: people working together, sharing ideas, and learning. We're taking out the professors and taking their places ourselves, teaching and helping each other. There're no pressures for doing well side from some friendly competition and our own desires to learn.

Ales is also keeping it closed, which is probably a good idea starting off. We're trying to keep the group small (smaller groups are more effective), and avoid parasites (people who take in all they can without giving back). It'll be nice to test out this method of study, and if it works, maybe expanding on it.

So, after talking to him about that, we also talked about one such parasite. Earlier in the year I had taken on tutoring a few people. I thought it a great way to practice what I know and help someone out. It was, until I found someone who was too far deep in work and stress to help. I tried, and did have some success teaching her some physics and mathematics concepts, but it became too much of a time sink, and she created too much stress for myself and Alex. The situation isn't over, but I hope to resolve it soon.

These were what I was thinking about as I jogged across campus. I got the information I needed, then visited the wellness center. While heavily oriented towards sexual wellness (a common theme in university health), it also ha lots of information on eating, sleep, stress, religion, an much more. I basically let them show me around to all the different resources, information, pamphlets et cetera, taking it all in. Then I had a chat with an engineer, mentioned that I'm thinking about engineering physics and had a talk about it. He was the first person, who after hearing about my interest in physics, agreed that I should be in eng phys. I left the place feeling informed and content.

Then I came back, finished an online physics quiz in ten minutes (due in thirty), and took over the floor lounge, playing video games and watching movies.

Around four or five, Joël's girlfriend came by. I thought it strange to see her without him, but then I found out why. She was here to fill his room to the top with balloons. We had a little over an hour before he would be back, so we set to it.

We got to his room and started blowing up balloons, which soon covered his floor. I tried calling a few people to help, but no one was around, and we eventually decided to stop, hide the balloons (in my room), and restart later on that night.

Joël came back, we had supper, and soon after they headed out together. His girlfriend making sure to lock up, or that is to say, to forget to lock up. I got the balloons back in his room, and started getting as many people as I could to help. It wasn't long before the balloons were up to my knees and people were getting bored and tired. But about a half hour later, Alex showed up.

We got it up to waist height, turned off the lights, hid beneath the lake of balloons, and waited. It was honestly the best expression of pure joy I've ever seen. Better than any walking-down-the-stairs-on-x-mas-morning-to-find-the-red-bicycle-you-always-wanted smile I've ever seen. It was awesome, and the fun we had playing around in the balloons was well worth the hours of blowing them up.













It was probably the best idea for a birthday surprise I've seen, just enough scale, creativity, and childishness to be amazing. (I should probably explain, it was actually his birthday three months ago, but he was on his own in the dorms at the time, so now that people are here (myself included), we're celebrating.)
After much balloon fun and silliness, I went to bed.

Then next morning (THIS morning actually), I woke at six-thirty, dressed in red and got read to spread some holiday cheer. I had some three-month-old energy drink and found the last of my Jack Daniel's and with some engineering buddies, headed for the Cheeze (the engineer hangout). There, free alcohol and eggnog were provided, and would be needed for the next four hours.

Fueled by drink, a mob of engineers then began storming through the buildings of UBC, caroling, spreading x-mas joy, being belligerently drunk, and singing classics such as "We Wish you a Merry Christmas" and "Frosty the Photon." For four hours, I kept drunk enough to be among the loudest and most joyful caroler you ever did see.








Then I had to run back to residence for my stuff and headed for the latter half of my math class. I fell asleep and probably almost passed out, but somehow managed to take notes and learned something about remainder theorem (always find the most you can be wrong by).

Then I went to thermodynamics. I was intelligent, but got a question wrong because I was too bored to count the number of waves in a question. * I was still able to participate in class even while drunk.

After thermodynamics, I walked to HEBB with Alex to show him some prospective classrooms to take over, ones with chalkboards the whole way around the room. And while in HEBB, I decided to show him then eng phys penthouse.

We went up to the top and talked to some eng phys students. We talked about what eng phys entails, what type of person should join, and what cool stuff you get to do. One guy showed us a video of robots designed for rescue, and while still drunk, I was criticizing and commenting on the different designs. Then we talked about what type of work "fizzers" do, and talked to a guy who worked at Activision (a major gaming company) doing eng phys. All in all, I'm now pretty much set on engineering physics.

We then left to go to my next class, for which Alex stayed for a few minutes. I didn't do very much in it. I just say there and wrote stuff down.

Finally, it was time for chemistry. I walked into class to find one of my friends not there, and in his place, someone saying that I would probably pass out in class. I disregarded his comment and paid much attention to the lecture. It really was entertaining, with our professor ending it with discussion on how entropy can be interpreted as a valuable life lesson and referencing many inspirational works. The class ended with much applause.

I went for a slice of pizza, came back to residence, and finished my last physics assignment, ending all my work for this semester. I then went to the laundry room, where we stored all the balloons, and started playing around. A few people joined me and we had some fun sticking balloons to the roof. And that's when I started typing. Still slightly drunk, but well in the mood for writing.

Bt that's not where this ends. I then joined Joël and some friends for supper to celebrate his three-months-prior birthday, at an all you can eat buffet of chocolate. We caught the bus downtown, walked a short ways, chatting all the way and soon found ourselves in a very nice restaurant of chocolate. Excellent food, great service, and a wonderful time. I recommend the place to anyone who enjoys chocolate and thinks they could eat a limitless supply**.

We caught a bus home, chatting about surreal concepts and hive-mind-ism. Now I'm tired from the best forty-eight hours I've spent in university so far. I love times like these. I've filled a room to waist height in balloons, been merrily drunk and enjoying myself, spread x-mas cheer and holiday spirit with the engineers, and had more than my fill of fine chocolate desserts. I'm not sure how this can be topped.

Thank you and good night.

*Note: I was still in the process of sobering up while writing the above portion. From this point on in writing I'm sober. Do you notice any difference?

**But I forget the name. It was in an equally nice hotel.

1 comment:

  1. No, other than a certain run-with-the-topic quality, I couldn't see the change from drunk to sober.
    This chocolate-restaurant theme is quite surreal. Are we really in the same city?
    Glad to hear that you're getting a good rounded picture of the Engineering Physics option (or trap, as we'll wait to see)

    ReplyDelete