Sunday, November 30, 2008

I Need Somewhere for a Rest.

(Allusion to Home for a Rst by Spirit of the West)

Sorry, this is my rant, I'll try to keep it clean.

Well, as I might have mentioned before, my room here is an icebox. It is on the bottom floor, near the entrance with three walls touching the outside and the only source of heat is an air conditioner way up in a high corner. Luckily I do well with a few warm clothes and natural resistance to the cold. I've brought this up because I've found something colder than my room in this house; it's emotional climate.
Many of you know that I am quite independant, often awkward, I like technology and I like improvising, and I'll add to that that I can't stand being alone with nothing to do for very long (while I'm used to dealing with it, I become very depressed very quickly, hence my like of improvising and technology to keep me occupied).
Well, all this backfires on me with my current host family. My use of technology irritates my host father who makes computers an extremely limited resource in his house (despite their three comuters and 100MB/s internet connection).
Many of you know that I'm socially awkward and often do things which could easily be misinterperted, well, my host father does misinterpert these. So now I'm watching the way I walk (too silently without annoncing myself) and breathe (sighing as a meaningless way of exhaling) etc.
Many of you might also know me for my strange study habits, mainly not studying or sometimes making a reference sheet. Well, here I don't get to see my host brother very much because they're usually in their rooms studying (or pretending to) whereas I would rather learn without monotonous study (unforetunately I lent my kanji book to someone to read and other than that, all I could do is memorize my dictionary's mostly accurate translations). I'm guessing this lack of study worries him about my learning Japanese (in which I'm doing very well ahead of the other exchange students I have contact with (one came here a week after me, the other, six months before me).
And to add a little more, though this was expected, it is more dominate than I expected, my host family keeps track of when and where I go, I have to give a day's notice if I'm going to miss a meal and after supper it's too late to do anything (though I'll be up until at least ten, probably eleven, and I won't fall asleep until at least twelve).
It's not only I who get on other's nerves here either, but I won't get into that.
I would like to say though that while I'm having some trouble, it is a nice and hospitable family, though strict. I'm just not a good match for them.

Sorry again, but I've been a little stressed as of late.

5 comments:

  1. I am glad you have an outlet to rant. Mandy and I just got back from S.A. She may have a sympathetic ear for your rant. Now you know why it is healthier for exchange students to do 3-month stints in host families. Will follow up with e-mail for you. In response to how many are checking your blog. I am probably your best fan. I also know there are others in the family who drop in on you now and again.
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Geoff,

    Sounds like you're doing OK in Japan. It must be tough dealing with different family styles. But that's what you signed up for. You're not always going to be with a family that's conducive to your way of life. So adapt and try to make the best of a situation (which it sounds like you're trying to do). Maybe you can ask your host dad for extra Japanese lessons or ask your host mom to teach you some cultural things.

    How's running going? How's school? I'd love to get over and visit, it might be possible in February. Keep up the good work and I'll talk to you soon.

    Ian in Korea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and congrats on picking up the language so quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a well-tempered & fair-minded rant. And it makes me think immediately of Mandy & her knowledge from inside the Rotary beast. Ask her, & stay frosty -

    ReplyDelete
  5. makes me think of my first family to, and i can agree with alot of what that said and in genral what you have told me, but i really really hope my 6month family arnt like your was... i move to them on wednesday !

    ReplyDelete