Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Major

So, as I just mentioned, I've decided on engineering for my major in university. This decision isn't necessarily final, but I'm going to apply based on it.

First, I'll start by saying that I've been considereding engineering and physics for some time now (and previously mathematics). I know that I want to put my skills in math an physics to use, but mathematics is too theoretical for my tastes and I don't see myself as enjoying it for a career. Physics appeals to me because it deals heavily with math and has that appeal of being the rules of the known world, but the further I get into it, the more imaginary it seems. Engineering, still further away from math, though still relying heavily on the latter and phyiscs, is much more applicable. It also makes sense with my history of taking things apart (like the computer I'm using right now that could make Dr. Frankenstein proud), building things (especially out of Lego) like the setup on my piano to hold up my sheet music, built out of K'nex and often modified. Also, engineering's applicable side will be better for finding a job later on.

Now, as to a university, I haven't been thinking about this very long or very hard, but through my everyday life I've heard many references to UBC in engineering, mostly about their engineering department and mostly through Disocvery channel. I'd hear about a competition in which they took part or some new project.
Waterloo I read about online, though I've also participated in two of their national math tests before knowing the name.
Dalhousie is one of the better known universities around here and I've been directed to it a few times, like when I asked people at the local university (Cape Breton University) about engineering (similarly, they (CBU) told me not to go to CBU for physics). I was also at DAL for a week of math camp.
Depending on my brother's suggestion, I might also apply to SFU.
And if all else fails, there's MUN and a transfaer course at CBU.

Some people might tell me to stay at home for university. I'd ask those people to define home. I lie with my parents, but I was born in British Columbia and I've lived a year abroad. For me, heading out for my post-secondary education is part of the adventure. I also know about the financial advantages (I've even considered taking a year off to work) but I already have a nice advantage, I might as well take it.

And no, I don't want to go to a university in the United States, MIT would be a better choice than Harvard for engineering and I've considered college (though I suggest that anyone with any interest check out their options, college is cheaper and pays very well).

Anyways, that's about it. If any of you have anything to write or say, leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. UBC sounds like the place to be. (Gavin will get over it.) and I strongly support heading as far as possible away from your high school life for university- it's pretty refreshing. But Dal would certainly be fun too; it's a great university city. Still, Vancouver is closer to Japan, and Terry, and other things that I know would really appeal to you, plus Gavin is around and perhaps even ryan and myself. not that we'd have to hang out all the time, but the opportunity would be there when you need it. And vancouver is one of the few places that running year round is no major feat (though i know you prefer a little challenge to your routine.) anyways, you're doing the most important part now, leaving your options open and getting the grades that will get you both admission and hopefully monetary support. keep at it! mandy

    ReplyDelete