Thursday, October 22, 2009

New Old Bike Smell

So, I have a new bike (bicycle). It's a few years old and was crushed by a car. I spent a night bending it's frame into something workable (ironically further out of shape). Then I got the tires on, straightened out the wheels (not entirely), attached the brakes and gears, added lights, a water bottle holder and a lock and now all that's left is to grease the bearings.

I've been riding it for a little while now. Originally I was going to turn it into a fixy (fixed-gear or fixed-wheel bicycle), this was to make the bike very difficult to use. It seems pointless now because the bike is bent, with old brakes, gears that shift awkwardly (sometimes derailing), a seat to high for most, wobbly tires and no features for comfort. I like my bike.

That said, cycling around here (I call the object a bike and the action cycling) is scary. I was almost hit by a bus today, dodging some pylons as it whizzed by. The roads here are in minor disrepair, with holes, no shoulder, hills and wind, right-hand turning lanes and drivers who know neither speed limit not vehicle regulations (bikes are legally considered vehicles, cycling on sidewalks is illegal).

Regardless, I keep it up. It's not that I can't drive, I have my full licence (no 'N') and I'm a delivery driver, I often drive a caravan, oldsmobile and a chevy pick-up. I just prefer cycling. I find it more engaging than falling asleep at the wheel. It's also good exercise while still being fast enough. It's also a LOT less dangerous.

Now for the financial:
A car good will cost you a few tens of thousands of dollars.
An excellent bike will cost you a few thousand.
You'll need a licence and lessons for a car.
A bike can be ridden without either.
Car insurance for damage is mandatory.
Bike insurance is more for theft and is optional.
Car repairs cost hundreds of dollars.
Bike repairs cost between five and a hundred dollars and can usually be done without help.
Car require fuel and a driver.
Bikes require a rider.
Car must be driven on roads and parked in allocated spots.
Bikes can be ridden and parked almost anywhere.
Car requires a seat belt.
Bike requires a helmet.
Car can go hundreds of kilometres per hour.
Bikes can go tens of kilometres per hour.
Car accidents are commonly fatal.
Bike accidents cause mostly scraped knees and road rash.

This is biased, but I know most of my facts rather well.

Anyways, I'll be out on my new red bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment