Monday, February 1, 2010

Down time

So the next semester starts tomorrow. I'll have advanced physics 12, chimie avancee 12, calculus 12 and advanced English 12. I have a head start on physics and calculus because I took them in Japan, I need to learn how to do chemistry in French and I need to actually read the book I'm supposed to know for English. The book is Charles Dickens's Great Expectations, and I've only made it through the first few chapters. I have no idea why, but I have trouble reading it. It's not the style, because I breeze through Arthur Conan Doyle and H.G. Wells, and though it is long, I usually read at a pace of one page for every two minutes (calculated from when I stayed up all night reading The Kite Runner over a nine hour stretch, still accurate). Maybe it's just Dickens. Anyways, I'll try again before falling back on sparks notes.

I'm looking forward to physics. I always like physics classes, probably because the teachers are all academics, I understand the subject and the classes are filled with toys. It'll also be nice to meet people with a common interest, or helping those who just want to get through it. Even in Japan I was able to do something in physics.

Chimie is French for chemistry. Because it's French and advanced, I'm expecting a very small class, which will be good. It'll also keep my French fresh, but I'll need to learn some vocabulary.

Calculus will probably be good. I'm good with the subject, the only question will be the teacher, we have some pretty terrible ones.

And I'm afraid of English. I get the language, I love to play with it (almost as much as I love playing with physics and math), but it's not very easy for me. I'm a slow read, a slow writer and I mix languages. I'm also a bit long winded because I always want to assure that my point makes it across. Unfortunately I can't write bullshit very well and long essays could easily be the end of me. I just hope that the teacher has the same opinions on the subject and grammar as I do, as English is nothing if not varied (which is why I think the Japanese have so much trouble teaching it).

Also, in case I didn't mention it before, I got accepted to UBC a few days ago, that'll be where I'm going. I love Vancouver (also close to Japan), it's well known for its engineering and it's a chance to get away. There's nothing wrong with where I am now, but I prefer to move around.

Anyways, I have things to do, but I'll probably procrastinate instead.

3 comments:

  1. YES! YES!
    Join us on the wet coast! With any luck, Amanda & Ryan will be out here by then as well. Not that we want to cramp your style, but you can hit us up for meals out when needed. Gavin knows this -

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's such good news.
    and hang in there with the Dickens: it just takes some time to warm up on that novel, but it gets really good- one of my favorite "forced" reads from high school. it really starts picking up; don't let it scare you!
    good luck,
    your "big" sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. And hopefully that explains the 'anonymous'poster 2 entries back - good.

    ReplyDelete