Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lone wolf

First off, lone wolf is an irony, or at least, it should be. Wolves are pack animals and are rarely found a "lone." A lone wolf is not as common a theme in wolves as popular culture makes it seem.

Next, it's not a term I would use to describe myself, nor a regular wolf; I don't like packs, maybe a dog; a familiar. I'm not a party animal (sorry for all the animalia references), but I don't like being alone. The silence would be good, except that when I'm alone I'm not usually silent, my mind can be deafening. I prefer being one-on-one with people, even in running, I often run beside someone, even though it doesn't suit my strengths. The reason I'm so used to walking is that walking home with people used to be the best way to have face-to-face chats with them, but now that everyone has cars, the drive home takes minutes at most, drivers are sometimes distracted by driving and music blares.

In Japan, I went on walks often. I thought it better to get out and learn about the city than sit at home, where I was often expected to study (what?) silently. So I learned the lay of the land, I explored shops, took pictures of the scenery and occasionally ran into people (not literally). I'm starting to get the same feeling here. My room is full of things, video games, movies, but most of it is just pointless distraction. I want to get out.

School is similar in the way that it's beginning to remind me of Japan. The pre-formed cliques that are so hard to break into, I've noticed that the grades still have the same feel; the grade tens are energetic, the grade twelves are more relaxed and the grade elevens are an in between. The grade tens are more willing to take me in, but the grade twelves interest me more. I feel like an outsider again and I don't want to be.

If a tree falls in a forest and there's no one around to hear it, does it make a sound? It depends on your definition of sound. If you define sound scientifically as vibration, then yes. If you define sound as something heard, then no. If no one checks on Schrodinger's cat, is it still alive? I'd rather have people around to find out, and hope it is. But enough philosophy and physics.

This week has not been a very happy week so far. On Valentine's day, I was playing solitare (which would make for a good pun; a card playing solitaire on a valentine's day because I am a Card and I was playing cards, I was alone, playing solitaire, and I was listening to Linkin Park's On a Valentine's day on Valentine's day). Then, today, it snowed and school was cancelled. I would have prefered to go, to have had something to do and people to see, but instead I'm sitting at home, having finished all my homework for the week, my residence application and a platinum in Uncharted 2, and now I'm looking into scholarships and doing next week's homework. My grades might not be suffering but I am. And I'll end it there, this is getting to depressing. There might be good news on the horizon, but for now, this is all I have.

4 comments:

  1. Thames Fakename SmithFeb 17, 2010, 10:54:00 PM

    The expression about lone wolves makes more sense then you think. Lone wolves are indeed a rarity. That's what the expression is for. It's unusual for a wolf to choose to go it alone, while the rest run as a pack, much like it's unusual for a human to do the same. The reason things become old expressions is usually because they are very true when you look at them under the right light.

    I'm with you on the one on one thing. There really isn't enough of it in the world these days. Even when with friends one on one isn't common place. People just tend to like bigger groups and see anything smaller as too intimate. Maybe that's true. But is that a bad thing? When you have a deep, one on one conversation with someone, you learn so much more about them. You see what they are like without the pressures of appearances or anything like that. Maybe that's why people don't like it now a days. We spend all our time in the public eye, with cell phones, facebook and cameras watching our every move. You need to watch your actions whenever your out of the house. Maybe this has made people not want to show the true them to you. I'm getting off track.

    Valentines day. My friend, what you described is a pretty typical singles valentines day. It happens. While I don't agree with your taste in music I wasn't doing too much different. I was curled up on the couch with my favorite video game from when i was 9. The main thing is to not let it get you down. Sure it's shitty being alone on valentines day, but there's two ways you can go about it. You could mope and hole yourself up, or you can go the other route. Imagine all of the situations you aren't in because of being single. You aren't fighting with someone. You aren't wondering if you will be dumped. You aren't heartbroken. Hell, linkin park beats any of them. Just think to yourself, fuck those couply bastards, and go do something that makes you happy.

    I ended up writing for longer then I meant to but I hope this helps out a little.

    Catch you on the flip side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What he said, about the 'lone wolf' expression. Exactly.

    About three years ago I redefined 'introvert' and 'extrovert' based on my own experience, and since then have heard supporting stories from many friends - most of them introverts, I'll add. It started when I told a friend I was an introvert and they said "But you're always so talkative, and you really enjoy company!" Evidently, the general picture is that extroverts chat and have fun, introverts mope and hide. So in that discussion, we went on to redefine the terms. 'Introverts' enjoy a little company, but require time alone. 'Extroverts' enjoy a little time alone, but require company. Introverts will always prefer one-on-one to a crowd. Extroverts, vice versa.

    One of the odd (and unpleasant) things about this is the common bias around these two equally valid temperaments. Each has its pitfalls, but introversion is seen as a problem, while extroversion is just having fun, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost - armchair psychology, one of my favourite indoor sports. And armchairs are appropriate, since psychology doesn't suit steep snow-covered slopes -

    ReplyDelete