Sunday, October 5, 2008

More of the Same

So, not very much has happened in terms of new and exciting, but I've enough to make a post out of it so I will.
Nothing new has happened in school, all that I can say is that I'm trying to figure out differentation in math.

At home very little has happened. I've added to the layout of my desk, and I've switched the calendar my host family put up for one I got in Takaoka. I'm making a display of Calorie Mate boxes and Coca-Cola cans.




Also, today I went to a festival with my host brother, the less talkative American and the nun-like Canadian, who will henceforth be dubbed "the nun" for humorous reasons. The nun's host brother also came along, he's a cool guy who poses whenever a camera is aimed in his vicinity.

The festival was in the same town as my host brother's grandpa, so we paid him a visit and had a short walk through his garden. We walked through the town and watched as groups would carry large statues from store to store to thank them for giving to the local shrines. There were also the usual shops in the streets and people heading to the shrines.

On the way back we got to talking. Apparently the nun and her brother watch anime, we traded sites for watching shows on, added each other on facebook and decided to look up each other's blogs. http://brie-acrosstheworld.blogspot.com/ I'm reading it and I find it interesting, but I find the consistent mentionings of Christianity to be an annoyance. Regardless, I'll read on (to each their own). She seems more sheltered and innocent on her blog than in person. I'll also say that her blog is more random and written in a style like that used on online chats. Another thing I find strange, as I always have in this exchange program, is the explanation of Rotary*. Anyways, I introduced the nun to Patapon and Roman Holiday and went back "home."
Edit (1110GMT): In other news, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Chamlpoo are two amazing anime and xkcd is a really funny and scientific webcomic.

*I didn't find out about Rotary through this program, I found out about this program through Rotary. My family has hosted eleven and sent two students on Rotary exchange. My father has been in three clubs, one of which he is currently president, the other is my sponsoring club. I've been an executive member of my school's Interact club and have helped out in a few Rotary events. I've even done a presentation on the subject. I know Rotary grace and the four way test, so reading about people who are just finding out about it is strange for me.

3 comments:

  1. Mom says, "Great photos and comments".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samurai Champloo is indeed great, and Fuu is hot. You knew that the same guy directed it and Cowboy Bebop? I really liked the story of the blind folksinger and loved her strange singing style -

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm lovin it!
    Interesting, atriculate, funny and honest ( god knows if that's true but seems so to me!(^_^)
    Though I don't write much, love reading the stuff..Learnin more about Japan.. and you .. every day.
    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete