Sunday, March 21, 2010

March Work

Well, today ends March break, or spring break or whatever you call it. I'm not sure about you but I'm glad it's over. Actually, I'm not sure if I got the same spring break as everyone else. I was out building a house and taking shifts at the restaurant. I didn't get a real break, just a lot more work than usual.

It started at about Thursday. On Thursdays I have volunteer work after school. I spend time with people at a guest home, usually playing a game of cribbage with an English lady. It's slow, but I enjoy the game, the conversation is a bonus and really, there's worse volunteer work I could be doing. It's at a place half way into town, and so hen I was done, I headed in to the restaurant just to sit down, maybe have a drink and talk or just relax. That wa a mistake.

I got there, sa down and waited a while, talked to people, waited for a podcast to finish downloading (the walk home is long and I get tired of my music quickly). A while later I was still there when me father came in. I know that there was some time of not much happening in between, but it's a distant memeroy now and all I can remember was it being eleven of the clock at night and being driven home after working.

Friday, the day before March break, is a day when most kids skip. I don't, I prefer being around the few kids left at school to sitting at home with nothing to do. On this Friday my dad called me off school to help build the house. We were working with one other guy to get truses up onto the roof. It was slow and heavy work, at least, heavy for a guy who never works out (id est, me). I got home and then got ready for work at the restaurant.

You see, now I'm taking shifts with my friends, it's technically not regular work and technically not training, basically I follow them in and help them out or do whatever needs to be done. Basically, I'm just collecting work experience and learning how to work out front with customers, but I'm extra and not needed. I'd go into more depth of why it's complicated an not really training, but it's not worth it.

At then end of the night I got a ride home, I forget what I did, but eventually, very late, I got to sleep. The next day was another day of building the roof, and another shift at work, actually I got home just as my drive was leaving and barely made it. The next day was another out at the house. It didn't really help that all the people out there to help build kept telling me to stay in school. I have no intention of leaving school for another four years at least. As if to prove this, I also started bringing my book for English class so that I could read (with the background noise of saws and hammers) when I wasn't needed.

It was about this point when I got back into Fallout 3, a video game. I don't play video games as much as some people think, but when I do play, I binge. For those of you who don't know about Fallout, it's a game about a post-apocolyptic, retro-futuristic (1950s in the 2250s) United States of Amercia. It's know for being immersive and very long with about fourty square kilometers of wasteland to explore and all kinds of different things to do, mostly trying to survive.

Most of the week followed with me working at the house or at the restaurant it not both. I also switched games to God of War III which came out Tuesday (the goriest games of my collection, which is usually rather tame). God of War III is a butchery of Greek mythology, though butchery in the way of violence, it's setting is suprisingly accurate, especially compared to Dante's Inferno (a game about it's namesake; The Divine Comedy). Now, sleep deprived, tired and sore, I'm going to go to sleep and wake up for MY break, which is to say, a normal workday.

It's a dog's life, but it could be worse (really, I'm just adding that part on the end so that no one else will).

I'd write more but sleep. Also, I'll soon have picutres, they're right here on my computer, but I'm THAT tired.

1 comment:

  1. It IS a dog's life, and yet it sounds like a pretty GOOD dog's life. Definitely a working dog, though - not one of your fat & lazy Golden Retrievers.

    Hi there - I'm in the process of answering your email, which you'll receive shortly -

    ReplyDelete