Sunday, March 7, 2010

Wasted day

I'm using the slang meaning of the word "wasted." You'll see why.

So, Saturday started early for me. On Friday I had been asked to volunteer for some basketball event and I said yes. Someone was going to pick me up at eight-fifteen, so I got up at seven-forty-five, had breakfast and all that jazz and waited. We drove over to the university where it was being held and asked around to find out what we'd be doing. After about fifteen minutes and at least four explanations from different people we started. Our job was to time kids as they completed different basketball related challenges and record it on sheets. It went well enough; I wrote down times as they were given to me, there were only a few mix-ups and I kept using colons instead of periods to split seconds from milliseconds. Two ours passed and our job was done. The people who had driven me out told me to ride with them back into town (the university here is about four kilometers from the outskirts of town), but I refused, twice, despite their calling after me. I walked across fields and on the opposite side of the road to get the point across.

I ran in the cool winter air. Actually this winter has been temperate and we've had nowhere near our usual hills of snow. We had had rain the day before and now everything shimmered with frozen droplets. The snow was slippery, strong enough to hold me up and glistened like polished metal. Tree branches sparkled like crystal, reminding me of the beauty of sakura trees. The sky had given up its clouds and the sun stood in the midst of spectacular blue. Sadly, I missed getting any pictures of this, I should really get back into the habit of taking snapshots. They're never as good as living the moment, but they try.

Anyways, I was heading into town to meet a few friends for lunch. I ran because they had just come from a race I couldn't make it to (due to the volunteering) and I wanted to show that I was still determined to run. I would meet the one with pink shoes at an appointment she had. We arrived at the same time, not ten seconds apart. She went in and I stayed outside, cooling down and waiting for the others. They had been to my house, expecting to pick me up, but made it back well before the appointments was over. When it was, we headed to Tim Horton's for a quick bit before we all went out separate ways.

I came home and spent some time sorting through all our old electronics, throwing out about three and a half computers worth of old components. I've cut back on my computer. It's now down to the basics: skeleton frame (I should use the side panels, but I don't, and at this point, the computer is going to die of technical causes before something spills on it), power source, mother board, video card, audio card, two hard disc drives, keyboard, mouse, wi-fi adaptor, monitor and speakers. Anything else I need I can hook up later. It's all in a box somewhere. I've also disconnected my PS3, which will stay so until my to-do list shortens down. Anyway, I drove out to an electronics disposal place and dropped it all off.

I then went through and cleaned out a few virtual things on my computer before getting a message from my friends; they were going out for drinks. A half-hour later I grabbed my coat and jogged over to the bar.

They weren't there when I arrived, so I waited around for about twenty or thirty minutes. I got annoyed, and not having a cellphone, there was no way of getting in contact with them without going home. So I jogged back to find a message on my answering machine. They had been to my house to pick me up while I had been at the bar waiting for them. I ran back, remembering why I keep all that Linkin Park music on my PSP: because it's fast.

I made it, two of them were sitting, eating and the third was working in the kitchen (she came out later to visit us). I told them what had happened and they apologized, saying that they though they had told me they'd pick me up (I'm quite sure they hadn't, I usually take note of things like that). After a few beer and nachos all was pretty much forgiven. We headed to one of their homes (it's kind of hard to keep up the anonymity without being ambiguous) and had a few more drinks. I found out that I have little trouble drinking bad tasting (alcoholic) drinks, but that's probably from the fact that I hate alcohol to begin with. I ended up downing my drink and one of theirs, and then we headed to another bar.

This week, Sydney (Nova Scotia, where I live) is hosting the East Coast Music Awards (ECMAs) and the bar was packed as the performers played and stage. I have video of the band, but it's too loud to hear anything, sorry. We did some shots and moved around and talked with different people. I spotted a few old friends and a few people from work. The one who was working in the kitchen finished and came over, we had more shots and then I started sobering up. Sobering up for me, whether getting over alcohol or getting over a good feeling usually kills my mood, even before all its effects are gone. It was also getting to be early in the morning, so I headed out. I forgot to call for a ride, but being as much of a runner as I am, I just ran home. I was okay, my vision was slightly off, but I had my balance and my legs worked just fine. I made it in and started drinking all the water I could. I tried to stay up, to wait to be sober before succumbed to sleep, but I was out before I could remember getting under the covers.

Today I've once again avoided a hangover, though my legs sure hate me. I ran about thirty kilometers that day. Today has been slow, I've just been cleaning up and trying to get things done. Oh, and one last thing, geoffcard isn't a username (that would be gercunderscore4), my real name is Geoffrey Card, but there always being another Jeff, I'm usually called "geoffcard," spoken quickly as one word.

No comments:

Post a Comment