Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Another Ramble... I Guess

I don't have anything else to do, so...

The Austrialians are leaving in a few days and everyone is trying to find a way to meet at least once more, hell, I'd get up a five on a school morning just to see them off if I could. I've gotten to know one of them very well, he gave me advice, support, things to do and much more, I owe him. I hope to see you again someday. 't's been fun. As to the other Australian, I didn't get to know him very well, but it's been good knowing him too (I don't think he reads this).

On that note, I'd also like to say a futur welcome to the next set of Aussies coming here. I'd like to meet you soon, but I think I'll give you guys a few weeks to get settled in first. If you need any help with anything at all, just ask and I'll do whatever I can to help. I can't tell you much about what you expect as I've only been in one host family (I'll be switching two weeks after you arrive), but having know as many exchange students as I have, I know you'll be fine.

Now, as for me...

I'm still alive, as usual. I've been running quite fast around Kanazawa and now I know it takes half an hour to run "home" from the station. I don't even bother wth the map anymore, I know the streets I use and even the ones I don't know I can navigate.

I've quit using my PSP for internet because it seems to annoy people, and so, being without any other means of communication, I'm asking for computer time now. My host father (I'm sorry, I can't just say oto-san (father) or home or any familiar words, I just can't, there's a mindblock there now) seems a little reluctant at times, but if they don't want me to have a cellphone so and calling people isn't as good for informing oneself as it seems (especially when it's a teenager at at least one end) so there isn't much else I can do. I'm cutting back as much as I can on surfing, I'm only breifly looking through gaming, anime and webcomics sites, as opposed to the hours I'd spend back home. I try to check my messages twice a day, in the early afternoon and in the evening. Anything like Skype or messenger would have to be planned in advance.

I'm not back in school yet, but in Kendo I'm now wearing most of the armour (Yamauchi is the team manager, she stands by wearing the gym uniform and helps out). I'm not up to par in skill yet, but I'm not in Japan to become the best kendo fighter. I'm thinking about bringing some of the equipement back and I've decided that I probably won't need the armour when I'm the only one with a sword.

Also, to take up a few Canadians on their advice, I'm going to befriend the class clown. He's the most Western kid in class and he's one of the better English speakers. I'll also see about offering to help classmates learn English (prounciation and slang mostly), I'll see if I can make them sound American (continentally).

Also, will I can't say I feel at ease in my host family, we've at least tried to make things more enjoyable. The main problem was that they always wanted me to act and make the first move while they also seemed to frown on everyting I did. Oh well, what can you do (shigata ga nai)?

I'm trying to find more friends here, a Japanese girlfriend would be best (which I haven't said up 'til now because of Rotary, but seriously, I'm not going for a long time relationship here, I just want someone to be with). The Australians suggest making friends outside of school, I'm not sure how, but I'll try. The main problem is that most Japanese students, controlled by the school (honestly, according to school rules they must wear their uniforms at school, related events, they are not allowed to have jobs, they must study, and their university entrance exam will determine the rest of their lives, and appearently homeroom teachers keep well informed on their students), are always practicing something.

I've also been asked for advice, so here's what I noticed about what I packed. I only brought a week's worth of clothing and that has worked out fine for me. I have something which can pass as formal to wear with my blazer for Rotary and my school uniform doubles as a suit (because that's wha it is, you'll get one too). I'm sure you're bringing pictures of everything back home and a camera for everything here. I brought my PSP, but I don't use it very much. If you have something like an iPod, go ahead, you'll probably also get a cellphone here with email internet and a camera (but bring your own anyways as that won't come 'til later, as for a laptop, ask the girl formerly refered to by me as the nun, she had one for a while (when you read this please leave a comment for him). Japan is probably colder than your used to, a jacket would be nice. A phrasebook or dictionary is helpful, but we have enough reading material for you here (English novels and Japanese manga). I don't know what to say about money, you'll spent here, I don't know how much but you will. Gifts for host families etc, space for what you'll bring back. Other than that, I can't thnik of it now. Everyone feel free to leave tips in comments.

Anyways, I think that's enough for now.

2 comments:

  1. Konbanwa hajimimashite Geoffrey-san. Hey, don't bug me on the spelling, we're learning Hiragana, not romanized and I haven't learned many of the characters yet. It's been a lot of fun so far.
    Seems like things are going relatively smoothly over there for you. You look cool in a kendo outfit. And I'm going to suggest that you keep it. Lots of universities offer Kendo in Canada (SFU does) and having that uniform will save you a lot of money. My taekwondo uniform itself came out to about $100. Anyways, glad to see you're doing good Geoff, those are some good tips to give to newcomers. Keep up the good work, you make me proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thankļ½“ for the future welcome you gave us....even if i did only jsut read it when ive been here for 3 and a bit months allready... and i just realized how insane it is that im already with my 3rd family and you who has been here 6 ish months longer than me are with your second.

    ReplyDelete