Saturday, January 31, 2009

What Isn't (e-mail post)

This time I'll go over some mis- or no longer conceptions of Japan.
First, it's name is Nihon or Nippon meaning something like "raising
sun" or anciently as Yamato, "great peace/harmony."
Western chairs and toilets are par.
My Japanese friends are more embrassed at being naked in the bath house than I.
Name endings aren't as used.
Gifts aren't refused any more than in the West.
Concepts like honour and harmony seldom appear.
Japan is basically a U.S.A. wanna-be despite having once been a near utopia.

4 comments:

  1. Bath house? I missed that onsen episode.

    Name endings aren't as used :( I wanted to be Terry-sensei

    USA wanna-be - would people over thirty agree? Not snark, I really want to know.

    Here's an old cliche - has anyone ever run away in embarrasment when introduced to the tall gaijin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geoff.
    Glad you're in second family home.
    Sounds like you're off to a good start.
    Hope you and the new neighbours 'bond'.. regular neighbourhood access to a computer would make it nice for you!
    Like the new blog..
    email to follow
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. yo man videos...? and thats a very bold statement about japan, no japanese person would agree with that. ばか!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm interested about this name ending thing. Can I have one? How does Japan want to be like the U.S.? I think with Obama in office everyone wants to be an American - there's an article in Maclean's this week about Obama running for PM :)

    ReplyDelete