Monday, April 6, 2009

Sorry about that...

Unless you're just catching up now, you'll have noticed that I haven't posted in a while. Even the Nagasaki report hasn't been posted. So, most of you probably think I'm done posting or something along the lines of dead. Well, actually I still want to keep up the blog, but here's the problem.

I've too much to post.

Seriously. The kyushu report, one for the Rotary trip, talking about hanging around with the other exchange students, going to concerts, just chillin', my upcoming run, sakura, I've got a lot to type. Not to mention I'm getting my pictures online into a google account, but two mb files take a while to upload (Terry, I have more panoramas, but they're not uploaded yet).

But, I only get about an hour a day on a computer, and with checking e-mail, keeping up with the news and a loud tv always on right beside me it's hard to type (though right now I'm at the Rifare). ...I guess I'll give it a shot now *takes out gun, points to head*... oops, I meant writing another entry *hides glock, hopes no one noticed*.

So, I'll skip the Kyushu report for right now and get into what I've been up to.

School ended late last month, I got about two weeks, which ended up being filled with the Rotary trip and kendo anyways. Yeah, when I tell my friends (as I want to call them, but haven't gotten confirmed) that clubs in the West are only a few hours a week rather than day it takes some convincing (granted we're expected to practice whatever we do outside of that in Canada, but I never ran as much as I was supposed to , and now with kendo I'm hardly getting a chance to go out for a nice ten k). 肉 (the australian) also had this with tennis.

Luckily, I spent yesterday with Middle of the Forest, who brought me to a live he preformed in (as a singer who needs to hold his head high and look at the audiance). It was good, but hot in a room only twice the size of my room in Canada (with a lower ceiling). After we went to a bookstore and looked around at the magazines and comics and an arcade. We had a good Japanese style meal of all kinds of foods that was a little overpriced but good. I tried to get a friendly conversation going but I couldn't find the depth I wanted. Appearently he wants to be a comedian, go to Osaka and maybe visit New York (Statue of Liberty) and England (The Beatles). The Japanese don't set their sights very high. And then I went "home."

Today I went to school for my health check. They checked my hearing (I was expecting a beep, it took me a few seconds to realize I was supposed to be listening for what I thought was interferance), my urine, height, weight, sight and blood pressure. Than I got my picture taken, got assinged to a class of forty-two (previously thirty-two, I know because outsider names go last and I've been assigned numbers 32 and 42). I had some nice chats about games, music, how to sound "cool" and such and spent a lot of time walking around looking for nice plces to relax as I did nothing until a shortened version of kendo in the afternoon. Also, having gone without it, I now know lunch is an important meal... and paper is no substitute.

Also, in language notes, one of the best ways to learn (as demonstrated in The Terminal) is to read kids' books. Of course when I suggested this to Japanese students (specifically, my favourite series, which I am looking for in Japanese, The Cat in the Hat) they seemed to think it under them and went back to failing to understand hyper-galactrix's user manual for the hydro fusionator 3000 (okay, their just reading stuff on NASA projects, psychology of advertising, etc, but my point stands). So, to prove my point, I've bought a bilingual version of Doraemon, a famous Japanese children's comic. It's funny and will make better conversation material than the technical term for a mosquito's stinger.

Anyways, that's enough for now.
Oh, but I'll say this, while some of you may have stopped reading (which makes mentioning you entirely useless) and some of you just pop in and out and I do get the occasional message, but I don't have any idea what to type about (obviously I'll mention what I'm up to and related stuff, but what do you want to know about Japan or me being here. Also, if you're coming, I'd like a heads up as the Japanese don't take well to disruptions in schedules (otherwise I'd specifically ask for you to come without the slightest hint)). (Also, I can't travel without Rotary's approval)

So, please ask about something.

2 comments:

  1. Geoff, I'd ask about something but you're doing quite well without suggestions. Glad to hear that you were kept from posting by too much life happening - that's the best possible reason.

    More lives! Actual teenage culture slightly outside the Rotary purview! Thank God - and getting the depth you want is such a casualty of language in these situations. You must needs become a master of saying complex things with simple words - not easy.

    You've been doing kendo a while now. Is it catching on with you - something you'd continue this side of the Pacific - or not?

    I've heard of Doraemon (described as the immensely popular Japanese cartoon that will never, never catch on anywhere else). I wonder if there's a Japanese equivalent of The Little Prince - a young-readers' book in very pure, very simple language. Maybe something by Miyazawa Kenji?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff, yes we are glad to hear you are still among the living. You're right, we do come to expect your blogs and they sort of take on a dependency. Even your dad noticed there hadn't been a blog lately. Any more on flights home? How long are you going to be at your current address?
    Can you send me your address? Snow has miraculously disappeared this week.YES! Great to hear from you. What kind of meals do you eat? Is your daily routine much different now that you are living outside the city with a new host family? mom

    ReplyDelete