Wednesday, May 27, 2009

3-8 Math Class

Three eight stands for third year (of high school), eigth class. I was also with this class's name-sake last year, another fun group, but I get more out of my conversations now that their in spoken form.
It's my favourite class, full of talkative & socialable otaku who accept me as a modern Japanese culture enthusist (id est manga, anime, video games et cetera). I can even participate in class (not by sleeping) and do the work (it being in math, a language of its own). With this class, I take:
Math III, graphing, in which I've done well considering. The teacher, same as last year, the class's homeroom teacher, really is a good math teacher (a pleasant rarity no matter where you are).
Math II, vectors. I understand most of it, but something still elude me, including vector multiplication, the teacher is old and has a good vocabulary of math in English. It's a different teacher from last year and I'm getting the hang of things I didn't the first time around.
Math C, algebra?, I looked ahead and it looks like geometry. This is mostly busywork, pages and pages of it. Regardless, I'm trying to catch up (not that I started behind, I just usually refuse to do busywork). The yeacher is young and seems nervously annoyed. I'm not even sure I've heard him speak, he just writes down examples on the board.
Physics II, which seems to jump around. We started in electricity, moved on to movement and now we're into wave. With the subject hopping and having done some of this last year, it's hard to say whether I'm doing good or bad. Regardless, Jim Burke's physics 12 booklet has helped a lot and is very well done (I look forward to making its cheatsheet). The teacher is different from last year and average and like every physics teacher has a collection of toys.
All in all, I like this class, much more than my own and wish they had placed me in it, I requested it and I'm taking forty percent of its classes regardless (they only have three class I can't do), but they probably figure I'll distract it more than it itself & gaijin popping in & out already do.
I also still wish I could have taken the exams.

1 comment:

  1. Math, the universal language - and yet I don't speak it (or only enough to order in a restaurant).
    "I still wish I could've taken the exams" - oy, that's motivated.
    I wonder it it's that way around the world, that the math enthusiasts form a pan-cultural brethren. Is the gender divide about even in the class?

    ReplyDelete