Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Megathon

I'm mostly going to talk about random things here, but probably the most interesting even was this;

One day, a week or two ago, the 松崎s were all headed out for a day, the apartment was to be empty for ten hours, including of me. So, I got a ten hour walk on the town. Ten hours. Ten hours. Ten hours. 十時間。I spent it walking around 金沢, from store to store, asking if my friends were up for anything, checking e-mail, going into toy stores, looking for puzzles, buying a deck of Bicycle cards, proving Calorie Mates work as well in real life as in video games (Final Fantasy's "potion" drink on the other hand fails outright) and walking.
The highlight was one of my quick breaks, I stopped into the Rifare to look through the library and met a foreign (not ALT) teacher. He recognized me from a gathering in January. We spoke in French (he's from Vermont, near Quebec). We spoke about how hard it is keeping up French while learning Japanese. He alos gave me a website where I can look up public domain books online. I found what I was looking for, The Count of Monte Critso in French, but it is longer than... any anime series (coincidentally, it is also an anime series). I'll probably hack it up into readable chuncks for my google site, same as I did for whatever the last Twilight book was.

In new news, WHAT, THE, FSCK! There will be a life size, eighteen metre tall Gundam built in Tokyo this July. Words fail to explain what I am feeling, mostly because I don't know what it is. Awe? Amazement? Weirded out (unlikely, this is me we're talking about)? Scared? Perhaps, hoping to see it on my way back to Canada, hoping it will distract Godzilla long enough for the plane to take off, though it might need back up to deal with the zombies.
I other news, I've stopped building Gundams for reasons of packing and money, though the latter hardly seems to matter here... well, for me (NOT directed at Brie, though she might get touched in the crossfire, I'm talking mostly about the Japanese themselves).

I'll be watching a lot more Japanese movies and shows since I just got a rental card.

I'm learning a really girly dance at school for an upcoming sports day. I'm one of the better guys at it because I'm the only one willing to practice it in front of everyone else, though the girls still blow me out of the water, it is after all a girl's song.
And my anime friends in 3-8 will be performing Hare Hare Yukai, that should be funny. The're okay otaku guys who'll be wearing shirts that say "Both of you, dance like you want to win!" an anime quote (at least their not stupid enough to dress up in femaile sailor suits (Japanese school girl uniforms, as used in the dance they'll do)). I'll see about video of both.
I'll also take part in a four-legged race, though with my stride I think they picked the wrong guy. Should be fun, to laugh at.

Anyone want anything specific from Japan? I'm at the point where I'm thinking of gifts, any idea might help. Don't worry much about finances, their governement just gave me money for being a foreigner in Japan (I was expecting reinstatement of the expulsion edicts).

Party at my work place when I get back!
Mom, you're plan sounds good.

My last few days I'll have no school, I'll see how much I can pack into them.

The days before those I'll be showing exchange students from Seattle around (weird, kanji just cut out on this computer) Kanazawa (oh well, it just means you know how to pronounce it this time).

Hmm, I still don't know how I'm going to pack all my video games and manga.

I don't think I'll be allowed to bring a real Japanese sword back to kanada, especially on the plane.

I'm having a lot of fun chatting at school, but I still want to hang out outside of it.

I've found that as my time is growing short, my memories are growing stronger. My mind is thinking back and ahead to the place I'll return to. I'll be back soon, but until then I'll continue to make my time here, and therefore also my return, all the better.

I meant the title as a reference to my ten hour walk, but it seems to fit the blog entry quite well also.

Anyways,

I'll write you later.

2 comments:

  1. ow - been working too much, falling behind on blog which leads to avoidance & vicious circle -
    I'll try to get here & catch up after finishing tonight -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the difficult stuff is a bit easier to deal with when return is looming - good! I just spent some time looping back thry the blog & found a mess of photos I missed - the Kanto trip and the dancers on video - nice pairing.

    Count o' Monte Cristo - popular in Japan I hear, like Anne of Avonlea - I guess because it's a revenge drama with lots of swords.
    "Megathon" sounds like the name of an 18 metre high Gundam to me - whoah, come to think of it, that IS big -
    I wanna see a video of your dance. S'okay, you don't have to post it -

    ReplyDelete