Saturday, June 27, 2009

Rant in' Japanese

Rant in Japanese/Ranting Japanese
Actually I'm ranting about Japan's language skills.

Starting off, Japanese is an expression based language with specific sayings and responses for most occasions. It has a lot of kanji, but they're easier to understand than any other Japanese writing system as it has too many homophones. It's also an old language with and old dialect not even most Japanese understand. Their language is easier and more structured than English and has government regulation (like France's academy).

English is a mish-mash of languages starting with German and currently forming more and more dialects as it continues to traverse the world. It is full of slang, dialects and commonly mispelt words (did you spot it?). It's most famous writer couldn't even find a consistent way to spell his name, and is (in)famous for his creative (incomprehensible) works. The language excels at being chaotic, different and loves originality. Though most of its phrases are used beyond cliche, new ones are always welcome. I myself am well know for my.... overzealous use of English.

I know I've descirbed these languages before, but this is a refresher course.

It's painful for me to listen to Japanese English. Most of it is phrases they've been prediterminedly taught which the use out of context. They believe English is as structured as their own language (like one teacher who thinks that "nice to meet you" is only used at the end of your self-introuduction, and probably that any introduction requires it). They have difficulty with it's flexibility. Difficulty isn't the right word. They can be utterly confused if you don't follow their predetermined conversation patterns. What's worse, they think they know English better than you. I could go on and on and on, but I'll just say that I can't wait to be back in a country where English is spoken fluently.

Next, I'll be taking back what I said early on in my blog about translation. Knowing how Japanese works, I'm not sure that translation is best. The Japanese way of speaking and communicating is different than ours, with honorifics, the kanji system, and many things that can only be understood in context (what would be extremely fragmented sentences in English are common to Japanese). This as well as other differences means that you would have to learn quite a bit about Japanese and the people behind it.
I think how much you care to learn about Japan should determine whether you go for translation or interpertation. If you want to get inside the culture, go ahead and translate. If you want to enjoy the occasional viewing, have it interperted.
I don't even translate anymore. I watch their shows with Japanese subtitles, and watching dubs is hard for me because my mind will always be guessing what they are saying in Japanese.

One thing I do like Japanese for; their rapping is very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment