Thursday, September 18, 2008

Feedback

As it's been stated by my parents, host parents and myslef, it has been over a month, which means this blog is a few weeks old. And I'm one month Japanese.
"Why the hel-...heck does that matter?" you ask. Well, it matters because now (and in some ways before I left) I'm used to many things here, and it's normal for me, so like words in a japanese sentence, I omit those things.
In this case, I got an email to one of my addresses not attached to this blog (comments are forwarded to two of my other addresses) that gave some good feedback, i.e. told me what you guys don't know:
"How are things going in your home? Do you have things in common with your host brothers? Are you meeting friends at school?"
So, I'll take the time now to dabble on the above.
Things here are slightly less comfortable than in my usual home, but that's because at home, I essencially own the house and I do what I want, when I want, as loud as I want (which is usually quite queit unless it's a telelvision show). Here, everything is fine, not quite "mine." I'm not intimate with the computer (as in taking it apart and feeling happy for it when it works), I'm afraid to play the piano because I can't plug in headphones or turn the volume down, I'm a little sick of reading workbooks and reading about how great a nation Japan is (it's a great nation, but that losses it's effect after the seventy-eigth statistic to prove it), there is not snacking, and no nachoes (although there is Coca-Cola), I dislike television sets because of their addictive properties, and while I can communicate well enough using a mixture of Engrish and Japanese, I still can't speak fluently enough to get my message across the way I like to (I'm sure you all know how I abuse my English).
Aside from that, I spend much of my day at home doing very little. My brothers both have after school activities which keep them out until dusk. I've started running to fill this time(approximately eight kilometers today). And even after, they go to their rooms to study or secretly play video games. My older host brother appearently has a lot of pressure on him to study, and the other doesn't speak English, but once I get command of Japanese I hope to play a few ad hoc games, or maybe he can beat me at chess some more.
At school people are more willing to communicate using bad Engrish, superfast (slang filled?) Japanese, or gestures. Most of this is getting my do pop culture gestures (which I do as a courtesy since I can't tel them that's not my style). I have made a few potential friends though. One is a clique in my class who aren't as into the EXILE-backboys, err, just EXILE, but I like making that point clear. They speak half-phrases of English. The other is a zealous guy who likes many of the same anime and games as I do. He zealously tries to communicate this through a mixture of English, Japanese and gestures, and while this is may seem feutile, he manages to get his point across and the energy he puts into it could easily in turn help him learn English (few other people TRY).
As far as learning Japanese goes, I have my books, I'm pleased with most of them (the adjective book is a little too much like a workbook, but it might still work, and it's still important) and there will be a few private lessons in school for me.
As a post script note I should also mention that in physics class I've learned many kanji (without furigana, so I can't pronouce them) and today, to an explosion of my pride the math III teacher asked me for the answer and I responded and got it right in Japanese (note: in Japanese, fractions are said as [denominator] bun no [numerator]), after which I think I passed a quiz in physics.
So, if there's anything you'd like to hear about, just ask. Also, I'll edit in directions for making comments.
Edit: write your comment in the text box, lower on the page select the "anonymous" option, type in the weird letters (this is to make sure you're not a computer) and click the orange button at the bottom.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, it's me testing out the comment system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've emailed my backed-up comments to the last four weeks of entries to you. Besides being interested in what you're doing & how strange/ wonderful/ difficult / boring / fun it is, I'm seriously impressed on how well it reads - from the teasing, evocative post titles to the topics and the tone. You Can Write.

    (And so why haven't I been reading it? We'll skip that question, shall we?)

    OK, it being the quiet afternoon it is, I'll finally call Gav & hand over your ransom box -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sent the message to Gavin.

    Hey, are you short of fun English reading material? Place an order with me if so -

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the fill-in-th-blanks of your day and nights at home. Maria was asking about you and said she doesn't have your blog site. Do you have her e-mail address to sent it to her? If not, let me know and I will get Pascale to pass it on to her. They are going to the dance on Thursday night.

    ReplyDelete