Wednesday, December 10, 2008

So, What to type...

Well, my mind is drawing a blank right now. I guess I'll go over what I can do in a day.

My "home" is in tera-machi (lit. "temple-town) which is not to far from the main city. Actually, it's immediately south of it.
Going east, there's a good tech and book shop a half-hour run downstream.
Southward are the suburbs where the other exchange students live (twenty and fourty minute walks)
To the west are many temples (immediate vicinity), and not much more 'til you hit the sea (hour-long run).
My school is a ten minute northward walk, or I can make it to the main shopping areas (Tate-machi and Kata-machi) after about twenty minutes of walking. Just north of that is Kohrinbo, and continue northwest for about twenty more minutes to get to the station.
All of this I consider within reach (except the sea, well, maybe on special occasions).

I have a nice collection of books (which I have finished except for some manga) with which I preactice my Japanese. My video games also are in Japanese, but I'm waiting until I can read basic Japanese before I get into any of those seriously. I have a PSP which connects to a faint wireless signal giving me basic internet (gmail and facebook mostly, I might not need a cellphone after all). As for a computer, my host family does have one, but as I've said, the father doesn't like anyone using it. Here at the Rifare, I can use a computer for sessions of thirty minutes, but I usually go longer than that (it's free).

As for on the go, I'm not allowed to dress as I like and I often need to have different books with me, so unlike Canada where I would carry my clipboard, wallet and PSP, here I have to manage what I bring much more (hell, I'm not even allowed to wear my "grey sweater" everywhere as you all know me to). If I could I'd carry my wallet, PSP, camera and clipboard, but as it stands, I often try to make do with a mostly empty wallet, pocket-size note pad (for quick reference and reminders) and my PSP (with headset, Patapon and its camera). If I get an ex-word, I'll bring that along too, but a regular is too big for me to carry.

Anyways, I'll write again on Friday, probably more about Japan.

By the way, you can email me, comment (comments also get sent as emails) or message me on Facebook and I'll respond.

1 comment:

  1. im gona have to come over there if you dont get a gf, just dont bring her to your house.

    ReplyDelete