Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dichotomy

Now that I'm getting ready to leave, one of the most common questions I get is whether I'm sad to go or happy to come back (the most common is still related to my ability to speak Japanese*). I don't get why it can't be both. I've made friends who I want to keep in touch with, though I'm not sure how that'll work out and I'll miss all the modern Japanese culture. On the other hand, I'm coming back to the world I know with the freedoms I'm used to and my devices (not just technological). I don't see a reason to pick sides. Actually, I don't have to. I am leaving Japan, that is a fact.

Another question I get is whether it truly seems like a year has passed. You're probably expecting a long explination about how time passes so quickly and t- ahem, yes. I have a very good sense for time.

*often following my name and followed by my age and height, not not at all, thank you, awkward silence, they leave for something else.

3 comments:

  1. It's called "mixed feelings".

    ReplyDelete
  2. good attitude -

    And I'd differ with anon above - sometimes feelings are mixed, and sometimes they're both-at-once, unmixed. RelievedDisappointed or HappySad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're only mix feeling if you mix them. I keep tem totally seperate, and when it comes to choosing between them, or mixing, I remind myself that I will return to Canada. That's not a choice, it's a fact and doesn't require any feelings.

    ReplyDelete