Sunday, July 19, 2009

Trimming the Fat

Obviously I'm not talking about myself. I don't have very much of the stuff, just enough to get through long runs. Strangely, though my frame seems right for muscles, I have non of that either. I'm typing about my baggage. Two under fifty pounds* and one carry on. I've been deciding what of this life to take back with me. Shirts, shoes, toiletries books, games, Gundams and more have often been tossed for factors of weight, volume or what-the-hell-am-I-supposed-to-do-with-this-when-I-get-back. I've still managed most of it, including my kendo clothing (not armour). My biggest worry is what to tell customs. "I don't know how much I spent, what on, what I have or how much tax that would be. I lived there. How much does your life cost," doesn't seem like a good answer, especially to people who suspect me for terrorism (well, they seemed to last time I returned to my home country).

Anyways, I'll get to yesterday.

I spent the early hours of the morning often refered to as late night to write most of my speech. I slept for a few hours and somehow managaed not to feel sleepy. I made up a speech in ten minutes for the teachers, who asked for and recieved a short one. I waited in class, then moved to the gymnasium. I was taken aside and waited to go up. I spoke for porbably five to ten minutes speaking directly to my classes and the kendo club. I didn't mention any names for three reasons; they introduced me, I didn't want anyone complaining about why they weren't in it and becaue it would have gone against my saying "sorry I never remember names."

Final goodbyes were said, I collected my indoor shoes and kendo clothing. I headed to the center of town from here to meet up with Brie and 肉 for karaoke. I made it with time to spare, so I got changed into regular clothing, I bought some food and drink (I was hungry and thristy) and waited with a group of political activists handing out flyers and trying to get votes in front of me. The ironic title of the (what their title seemed to imply) modern, happy, wealthy better Japan party whose slogan was "Start, Japanese dream" in transliterated English (not very Japanese). After a while I checked my e-mail at a local hotspot. I got in contact with 肉, realized Brie had forgotten part of the plan and told everyone to meet at the station (making things much eaier for Brie, not much more difficult for 肉 and very tiring for me). I made it there in record time and even re-checked my e-mail to see where 肉 was. We met up, ate lunch, avoided purikura, found out that the karaoke place was full, went shopping, picked up mail order and books and met at Brie's current host house to go to a party instead.

While not as fun as most parties I've been to, it was okay. We ate a lot of supper, had pictures taken, I socialized (while the attactive girl and center of the universe seperated from the group). Brie tried to keep everyone from finding out I'm considered to be an otaku (though it was evenutally made known by someone who already knew) and they called 肉 a ninja for stealing a bottle of soda-pop despite the fact that I was dressed all in light, black clothing (not to mention the mask I made to help with the smoke) and had a habit of sneaking up on people (if it looks like a ninja and acts like a ninja, it's porbably just geoffcard), oh well, at least this means my infultration mission was a success. Later we tried Japanese fireworks (not Canada day type fireworks, light them of and throw them at kids on Hallowe'en type fireworks) with the others which turned out to be not as powerful as the fireworks I'm used to but available to kids. I was the one who got the lighter and was lighting everybody's sparklers and had to use my jacket to get rid of all the smoke. The party died pretty quickly afterwards. I left and ran home, during which I found out just how close to my limit I am. I was running out of energy and my body was shouting in pain. Meh.

With all the running and the heat I hardly stopped sweating all day. By the end of it, I would have been dryer walking through the ocean.

Today was spent resting. I packed, did my laundry, recieved gifts from my host mother, got souvenirs, ate lunch at a nice French restaurant, started cleening up my e-mail inbox and other stuff.I have two days in Japan and one in airports left.

3 comments:

  1. The sun has finally come out. But now really hot and humid. We are not used to it. At least you will be acclimatized to heat and humidity when you get home. Dad out at property. Laura and I heading out on our bikes. Looking forward to the swim at the end of the ride. Can't wait to see you.
    Love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. And more nice departure activities. Fireworks - yes! I know they're harmless sparklie types, but still. And closer & closer to Narita and "Minna-san, arigatou".

    ReplyDelete
  3. And in case you don't post again before leaving - You. Are. A. Star. Thank you again & again for the year-long guided tour and vicarious visit to Japan.

    ReplyDelete