Thursday, July 16, 2009

Smooth Sailing

from here on out.

Last night I finished the last of my Rotary events for Japan. Two, in fact. That day started with me making it on time. There were the Seattle exchange students and, to my surprise, Brie. We stared off by going to make gold leaf decorations on laquer wares. Then we tried playing 三味線, which is only right-handed. Brie left as the rest of us went to my host club's meeting where one of the Seattle-ites gave a speech and traded Rotary banners (I've given my club mine, but not recieved their's). I gave a quick speech on the weather, "sorry for the gruff, I did shave yesterday," "I have two speeches to do today so this one will be short" and other small stuff. My notes for it were written within the hour before, but I was able to deliver it while keeping my eyes on the audience.

We met up with Brie again (I got all my stuff she'd been borrowing back) and headed to see the new Harry Potter movie. I got to see most of it, but I left before the castle fight scene to make it on time (I've read the book, that's enough for me). I made it with time to spare. More like time to make notes for my speech. I went upstairs and sat down with my teachers, a few Rotary members and most of my host families. People of status of the group gave speeches. I ate a little, but spent most of my time talking and explaining things. My speech lasted long enough, probably about five minutes with many thanks, much talk about what I did, and credit given generally where it was due.

Much of the talking was about linguistics. The representative of the school said that they were worried because I started learning Japanese very late. They added that they were glad to see that I had learned Japanese very well, including kanji. I can explain why. I could have explained why, but it would have been mean to 松本. Luckily, this blog isn't known to many people here. It's because the 松本s know English, and because the know it, we would always, eventually resort to it. I needed immersion (the effectiveness of which I spoke about with my teachers) where I would be required to learn the meaning of Japanese. The day after I moved to the 野上's, I started learning, beginning with being asked if I was hungry. I had also just gotten my Ex-word, but I have always prefered to understand before I translate. The 野上s even gave me a going away present, bandanas for kendo. I give them credit for my learning Japanese, and am satisfied with how far I've come this quickly (the speech was mostly improv). At the end we took pictures (but not with my camera) and I spoke with Kenji to try and meet up with him to have fun someday.

1 comment:

  1. So much diplomacy needed within the Rotary setup, it sounds like - good skillz, every ninja needs them. And delivering speeches with eyes on audience is another -

    ReplyDelete