Saturday, July 4, 2009

SOMETHING HAPPENED!

Which is extremely interesting compared to most of the rest of my week, and quite a bit of the time before that.

So, my day started running to a theatre on the opposite side of the city to watch the new Eva movie. I was early and sweating like mad, but it was alright. I didn't see any of my friends, but that's fine, I'll tell them later. Anyways, so I went in, got the tickets and saw the movie. It was good. Some of it was rehashed but there really is a lot of stuff that's been either changed or that's entirely new. The minor English parts were well done and there was a lot of product placement, from hundreds of vending machines filled with only two types of drinks, to a convenience store, to Misato's Panasonic computer and cetera. The humor was there, I almost laughed out loud a few times, almost except that everyone else was dead silent and my favourite character and the series' mascot had a larger part. Also, it's worth mentioning only because of how advertised it was, the girl from the U.S.A. has the biggest rack followed by the Japanese girl and the German is in last. Not that it matters to anyone non-otaku because they're all in anime style.

I walked back from there, listening to audio of The Divine Comedy (on the way over there too). It's hard to follow, but I like that style of English (actually, in this case it's translated from Italian) and it's interesting to find out where everyone's ideas of Hell came from.

When I got back, I showered, shaved and such, got caught up on the internet and prepared for tonight's Rotary event.

As with any such event, it was mostly boring, but I got to meet the three from Seattle. They're here on an exchange like mine to Mexico. They're here for a few weeks and then they head back with Japanese friends to Seattle for a few weeks. Most of them took Japanese as a subject in school as opposed to coming for the modern audio visual medial arts (id est anime, manga and video games). So we don't have as much in common, but that's fine. Brie will be meeting up with them next week and the week after I have to entertain them. There's not much to do in Kanazawa to keep things from getting either repetitive or boring but I'll see what I can do. Only two of the three will be in Kanazawa.

Anyways, aside from that, more is happening tomorrow but the next week should be boring.

geoffcard out.

3 comments:

  1. that's some cross-cultural evening you had! i'm glad that there are still some things to enjoy as you count down the days- i remember how that went. and don't forget that returning from japan is not the end of events for Rotary about you- there will certainly be a few upon your return. i'm glad that you'll be keeping up the blog because i'm interested to hear your impressions of "re-entry". plus i think i learned more about you this year than i ever did in the ten years that we lived in the same house, and it is much easier than stalking you on facebook.
    love your big sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "boring" travelled with you to Japan.
    You could try to leave it in Japan, but I expect it will travel back home with your again. Looking forward to seeing you soon.
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back from the new Eva movie and listening to The Divine Comedy on the return walk home? Hideaki Anno would be proud of you - that's pretty cool.

    Not to echo your mom too much, but next week shouldn't be boring. It might be, but shouldn't be.

    I'm totally with Mandy too - re-entry is going to be really interesting to hear about. Looking forward to it, or as they say after the Next Week's Previews - O-tanoshimi ni!

    ReplyDelete